Annual Budget Documents
About the Annual Operating Budget
The City of Garland's annual operating budget is a financial and policy plan to fund the City's services and programs for the duration of a fiscal year. The annual operating budget outlines anticipated revenues and expenditures for the City's various funds and departments. It also reports actual revenues and expenditures from the previously completed fiscal year. It is a policy tool for City Council to align the City's resources with its goals and service demands, as well as a means to communicate financial and organizational information to residents and other interested parties.
Approved Annual Operating Budgets
About the Capital Improvement Program
The Capital Improvement Program (CIP) consists of projects that involve the construction of infrastructure and major facilities and the acquisition of large equipment (generally over $30,000). Capital improvement projects are generally financed through debt instruments, including bonds and certificates of obligation, which are paid for with property taxes or revenue from proprietary funds. The Capital Improvement Budget differs from the Operating Budget because of its "multi-year" nature, which means that a project can span more than one fiscal year and its budget is active until the project is finished.
The Capital Improvement Program (CIP), which is adopted on a calendar-year basis, details expected resources and planned expenditures over a five-year period, lists projects for each capital improvement fund, and provides descriptions of projects, construction scheduling, and maps. In approving the CIP, Council actually appropriates the funds for the plan year, while approving, in concept, the plan for the future years.
Proposed Capital Improvement Programs
- The following are key review dates for the 2023 Proposed CIP:
- Monday, February 6, 2023, at 6:00 PM – City Council Work Session – Council Deliberation and Direction on 2023 Proposed CIP
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023, at 7:00 PM – City Council Regular Session – Public Hearing on the CIP
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023, at 7:00 PM – City Council Regular Session – Adoption of 2023 CIP
- DEPARTMENT PRESENTATIONS FROM JANUARY 21ST, 2023:
- DEPARTMENT PRESENTATIONS FROM JANUARY 24TH, 2023: